Especially when it comes to sharing the things we love together. Unfortunately, not everything that is good for us is good for our pets too. Listed below is a set of foods to keep away from your dogs.
1. Chocolate (& Caffeine) – Now even if you have never had a dog of your own you likely know that chocolate is toxic to dogs. What you may not know is that this extends to coffee and caffeine. All these items come from cacao seeds, which contain methylxanthines. They should be kept far away from your pets.
2. Grapes and Raisins – This one may not be widely known, which might be a result of the reason for it being somewhat unknown as well, but grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure in dogs. It is best to refrain from giving either of these to your dog in any respect.
3. Salt – When consumed in large quantities, salt can cause pets to have excessive thirst and urination. This can lead to severe dehydration and even sodium ion poisoning, so it is ideal to restrict the salty bites that you give your dogs. Some common salty snacks to watch out for could include pretzels, chips, popcorn etc..
4. Bread – This frequent table food may cause bloating and twisting in your dogs stomach. This extends to all kinds of bread, from sliced to baked. Also, when eating raw dough, the ethanol produced in the yeast can cause your dog to become drunk. Obviously, you do not want that so you are likely to need to keep all forms of bread away from your pups.
5. Bones – Dogs are famously known for their love of bones, however, giving your dogs bones from the table can be quite harmful to them. Certain bones such as chicken and ribs are prone to breaking off easily. This can do damage to your own dogs throat going down and even choke them. The bones may also splinter off at any point going down, potentially damaging their insides and their stomachs. It is best to only give your dogs bones that were made especially for chewing on, like the kind you can find at your neighborhood pet store.